Established as a mission by the Mississippi Methodist Conference December 7, 1821. Rev. Alexander Talley, first pastor. The first, second, and third church buildings located NE corner of Tarragona and Intendencia Streets. Fourth church building occupied 1884, located corner Garden and Palafox, where the U.S. Court House now stands. The fifth and present home of the First Methodist Church at 6 E Wright Street, cornerstone laid October 14, 1908. First service October 30, 1910. Youth Building cornerstone laid 1950.