Burtonville

Burtonville (HM1D6R)

Location: Esperance, NY 12066 Montgomery County
Country: United States of America

N 42° 48.334', W 74° 15.552'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 288 views
Inscription

The Schoharie Creek At Burtonville

Burtonville, one of the first settlements in Montgomery County was originally part of the Stone Heap Patent. Judah Burton settled here shortly after the Revolutionary War, building a dam and mills on the creek calling it Burton Dam. The community's name was changed to Mudge Hollow and then to Burtonville in 1837.

The name Schoharie is derived from an Indian word To-Was-Sho-Hor meaning "drift wood" and is descriptive of the river's tendency to carry along and deposit trees and other objects during times of high water. The valley, formed through the actions of Pleistocene (ice age) glaciers and continuous water erosion, is composed primarily of sedimentary shale and limestone. This rock, unique to eastern and southeastern New York State can be found throughout the Schoharie Valley in the form of shale cliffs and escarpments. Another unique geological characteristic of the Schoharie region is the flat horizontal span of shale bedrock referred to locally as a dance floor. Polished smooth by the action of glaciers, and example of dance floors can be seen here over the north side of the lower bridge.

This place has been used as a ford (crossing point) by both Native Americans and European settlers. A shallow, swift flowing river, the Schoharie at Burtonville was an ideal site to settle because of the limitless power that could be harnessed from the creek. In 1785 the first mills were erected by Judah Burton just upstream from this place. Water power to the mills was channeled through the creation of a large mill race which diverted water from the river to several mills erected between 1790 and the early 1900's. The race, called a power ditch, was built of stone with dry masonry techniques. The stone used in building the mills, race, and dwellings in the village itself was quarried from the creek.

The first bridge across the creek was erected at Burtonville in 1790. A later covered wooden bridge was destroyed by flooding in 1814. This flood also destroyed the mill which had been erected by Judah Burton in 1785.

Burtonville today is a quiet residential hamlet. The creek here is used for recreation (predominantly fishing and swimming) and is known for its clear waters and abundant wildlife. The village supports fire and emergency medical services as well as the environmental and community cultural organization, the Schoharie River Center.

Built in 1857, the former Methodist Church is now the Schoharie River Center. It was one of two churches in Burtonville, having at one time 90 members. The community also supported two hotels, two stores, black smith shops, and its own school and post office.

In the late 18th and through most of the 19th century this community was a booming area with a tannery, saw mill, grist mill, carding machine and fulling mill, nail factory, woolen factory, sash and blind factory. Hay forks and light wagons were also made in Burtonville. Stone mill foundations are visible along this side of the creek to the right.

The Schoharie River Center, a non-profit organization, thanks the Decentralization Program of the New York State Council for the Arts, for support for this sign. Appreciation also goes to the Mohawk Valley Heritage Corridor Commission for their assistance.
Details
HM NumberHM1D6R
Tags
Placed ByDecentralization Program of the New York State Council for the Arts & the Mohawk Valley Heritage Corridor Commission
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Friday, September 12th, 2014 at 1:43am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18T E 560571 N 4739489
Decimal Degrees42.80556667, -74.25920000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 42° 48.334', W 74° 15.552'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds42° 48' 20.04" N, 74° 15' 33.12" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)518
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 2043 Burtonville Rd, Esperance NY 12066, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Nearby Markersshow on map
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?