Dedicated on November 16, 1911 and affectionately known as the "Queen of Bridges", it was the longest reinforced concreted arch structure in the world at the time of its construction. The bridge was designed by John B. Leonard, Civil Engineer, license No. 12, with assistance from county surveyor George W. Conners.
The bridge is 24 feet wide with seven 195-foot arches and is 1,451 feet in length. Originally it had a gravel driving course with 500-foot timber trestle approaches. These were replaced in 1920 with reinforced concrete and pavement. The abutments and piers sit on 150 timber piles, each to a depth of 50 feet below the water line. In 1911 the cost to construct the bridge was $245,967.
The bridge has endured many floods, including the massive flood of 1964. In 1992 the bridge withstood three major earthquakes, one of which was over 7.0 in magnitude.
The "Queen of Bridges" continues to be a stalwart structure for the Eel River Valley.