An arm of the Shilo Primitive Baptist Church located near the Abby Creek, began meeting near the Three Cornered Pond just south of here in 1848. A new church called Piney Grove was constituted on April 21, 1849, by the hands of Elders Uriah M. Pellum and Pilot H. Edwards in the midst of a pine forest near Blackwoods Creek. The church was founded on the Gospel of Salvation by Grace, as taught in the Word of God. Charter members were James Kirkland, James C. Smith, Joseph Lock, James Lock, Willis Lock, Nancy Lock, Rebecca Lock and Morris Ronie. Members first met in a log school house located in the present cemetery.
New members were baptized nearby in Blackwoods Creek. The first church building constructed was here on lands deeded by William and Elizabeth Mims in 1858. The building was damaged by a storm in 1953, and was remodeled and bricked. Additions were added in 1996 and 2005. Remains of 500 Piney Grove worshippers of the Lord and their loved ones were resting in this cemetery in 2006. Earliest marked grave is W. R. Whitehead, who died on October 14, 1871. The Piney Grove Primitive Baptist Church is the oldest entity in the City of Headland, Alabama which was founded in 1871.