Opened in 1903, the timber-lined Kennedy Tunnel was the fast route between Oakland and Lafayette, saving four hours of driving around the San Pablo Reservoir. In 1914, it was wired for lights and renamed the Broadway Tunnel. In 1937, after the completion of the Caldecott Tunnel, the Kennedy Tunnel was closed to motor cars, allowing only foot, horses and two-wheeled traffic. In 1947, the timber lined tunnel was permanently closed due to repeated cave-ins and rising maintenance costs. It finally succumbed to nature in the late 1960's and the median at the intersection of Old Tunnel Rd. and Skyline Dr. is the only remnant existing today.
The median still holds the original dedication plaque and flagpole.