Constructed shortly after Fredericksburg's founding in 1728, the tavern across the intersection became a popular gathering place under the proprietorship of its first owner, John Gordon, and then of his son-in-law, George Weedon. George Washington was sometimes a guest there.
In January 1777, the Virginia Assembly's Committee of Law Revisors, met at the tavern. At that time, William Smith rented and operated the establishment, as Colonel Weedon was in New Jersey with General Washington's Continental Army. Weedon's son-in-law, Hugh Mercer, was also serving with Washington. Mercer, a doctor in civilian life, had practiced in an office just one block to the north. He died of wounds sustained at the battle of Princeton, while the Committee was meeting in Fredericksburg.
The tavern burned in a fire that swept through these blocks in 1807.