Cornerstones of Chattahoochee Mfg. Co., Langdale, Ala., and Alabama & Georgia Mfg. Co., River View, Ala., were laid on August 1, 1866. Mills used Chattahoochee River water power for operation of spindles and looms. Planters and businessmen of Chambers County, Ala., and West Point, Ga., invested the capital for these ventures, providing a new way of life to a war stricken people.
In 1880, West Point Manufacturing Company was organized from the Chattahoochee mill. The business genius, enterprise, and vision of LaFayette Lanier, (1845-1910), president 1896-1910, were largely responsible for the industrial and civic development of "The Valley."