Soldiers and civilian refugees peered anxiously in this direction, fearing another attack and praying for help. The garrison had dug entrenchments and built an earthen wall south of the fort. Barricades on all sides had been strengthened. During the fighting, all of the outbuildings except for the guardhouse and magazines had been destroyed. Most of the livestock had been captured and their feed burned. It was difficult for anyone to flee the post without animals to carry them.
Relief arrived on August 27, 1862, as 175 mounted volunteer soldiers, led by Colonel Samuel McPhail, galloped down the road in front of you. The next day, 1,500 men led by Colonel Henry H. Sibley arrived. This group's first act was to load supply wagons with women and children who had taken refuge at the fort and send them to St. Paul for safety. Sibley also sent 150 men to bury those slain at the Lower Sioux Agency and Redwood Ferry and to rebuild the ferry.
Minnesota Historical Society