In 1901, a group of German-Catholic immigrants to Texas who were united by faith, by language, by common concern for their fellow man and by their desire to protect their families, founded their own fraternal benefit society. Originally called te Sterbekasse der Deutschen Katholiken von Texas, this group traces its roots to St. Mary's Church in High Hill, Texas. It was the first fraternal in Texas to admit both men and women as members, offer children's life insurance protection, and adopt the legal reserve system. Msgr. Henry Gerlach, longtime pastor of St. Mary's Church was the first policyholder of this new fraternal society.
While the name changed in the mid-1930's to Catholic Life Insurance, the organization's desire to help their fellow man and to protect their families has never diminished. Today, nearly 70,000 individuals rely on Catholic Life Insurance for their life insurance and retirement protection.