The Georgia State Legislature established Troup County and four other counties in West Georgia in 1826. After choosing a location near the geographic center of the county, local leaders named the new county seat after Chateau de Lagrange the French country home of the Marquis de Lafayette, the French hero of the American Revolution. The area around the Square has witnessed many political rallies, parades, and social gatherings. The Truitt Opera House on Main Street hosted many special performances and cultural events. The building stood from the 1850s until 1989 (Above left).
Court Square began a gathering spot in the center of town. People shopped at local businesses and socialized, farmers sold their crops, children played on the courthouse lawn, and merchants and their customers played checkers in front of the stores. In 1888, Fuller E. Callaway, Sr., opened Callaway's Mammoth Department Store. The store operated until 1932. Callaway's was known for innovative marking and advertising.
Troup County has had four Courthouse buildings. The first built in 1829 of red brick, stood in the center of what became known as the Court Square. In 1904, the county opened the next courthouse. Designed by A.J. Bryan and Company of New Orleans, this three-story structure served the county until November 5, 1936, when it burned. Court was in session and two women, a public health nurse, and her patient died. The third courthouse, designed by architect William J. J. Chase, opened in 1939, a block off the Square. This building served as the main courthouse until 2002, when construction began on the government service center. The third courthouse was renovated for special purposes and juvenile court. (Shown in background, center panel, left.) Throughout Troup County's history, the courthouse and court square have served as the "heart" of the county.
Between 1924 and 1945, Troop County residents often saw Franklin D. Roosevelt drive by in his convertible. The 32nd president of the United States often visited during his stays at the Little White House in Warm Springs. Newell's Hat Shop was a popular in-town attraction between 1931 and 1977. Women from as far away as Columbus, chartered buses to purchase the newest styles in hats from Newell's. LaGrange city Hall opened in 1927 on Ridley Avenue and is still in use.
Black-owned business and professional offices including blue Goose Caf?, lined the first blocks of Vernon and Hines Street, creating thriving business districts. County and city residents alike often came to town on Saturday to shop. Other long-time businesses located around or near the Square included: Park and Colonial Hotels, Lehmann's Jewelry, (E. Court) Mansour's (W. Court), Cleveland-Dodd, (E. Court), LaGrange Banking Company (S. Court), Hudson Hardware (Main St.), Davis Pharmacy (N. Court), Spinks Hardware (E. Court), Bradfield's Department Store (E. Court), Mallory Realty (Main St.), J.E. Dunson Bros. (S. Court) and Charlie Joseph's (Main and Bull Streets).