Chief Metocinyah, whose village was destroyed by Campbell's troops during the Mississinewa Expedition of 1812, has been credited with quieting the Miami after the invasion. This service to the Americans is believed to be the reason his band was given a reservation of 6,400 acres, including 10 miles of river frontage by the Treaty of 1838. The Meshingomesia Reservation, the last in Indiana, was confirmed to Chief Meshingomesia by the Treaty of 1840. By petition to the Congress in 1873 Meshingomesia was persuaded to divide the land under government supervision, among the 63 members of the band then living. Soon after the division, the land mostly was in the hand of Americans, by marriage as well as by purchase.