(side 1)(Continued on other side)(side 2)
Jewish citizens organized in 1846; Kahl (Congregation) Montgomery chartered April 12, 1852. New Orleans philanthropist Judah Touro willed $2,000 as nucleus for temple building fund. Property acquired 1858. Philadelphia architect John Stewart designed Romanesque Revival edifice. Interior followed traditional plan with separate seating for men and women. Ark, which contained Torah Scroll, remains visible. Building dedicated 1862; named Beth-Or (House of Light) 1874. Members worshiped here until building of Clayton Street Temple in 1902. Congregation moved to Narrow Lane Road in 1961.
Catoma Street Church of Christ(Continued from other side)Churches of Christ in America grew from movement to return to Apostolic Christianity. This congregation organized 1881 under the leadership of educator and minister J.M. Barnes who had earlier founded churches, the Strata Academy, and Highland Home College south of Montgomery. Worshipers met first in Court House then in small church on Herron Street. This building purchased for $7,500 in 1901 as Jewish congregation prepared for move to new Clayton Street temple. "Eye of God" window in auditorium painted for Kahl Montgomery by Annie J. Smith, later a founding member of this church.