On this site from 1844-1872 stood the most exclusive resort in Georgia. In 1843 Maj. John Sharpe Rowland and his wife Frances Machen Lewis Rowland purchased 2,400 acres and built a health resort which included such amenities as a ten pin alley, pistol gallery, fountain, swans, nature trails, fruit orchards, fishing, and abundant wildlife. Over 27 cool and refreshing mineral springs provided medicinal treatment and refreshment to visitors. The hotel and cabins accommodated up to 600 guests. Each season musicians entertained vacationers, but according to the mandates of Rowland, "all gaming and immorality" were "strictly prohibited". The 1849 rates were $1.25 per day, which included 4 meals.
Some of the most prominent people of the day vacationed at the resort including four state governors in one season. Georgia Governor Joseph E. Brown was a frequent guest and physician, scientist, conservationist, and educator. Joseph LeConte honeymooned here in 1846.
The hotel and the three primary springs (Chalybeate, Sulphur & Magnesia, and Freestone) stood approximately 1/3 mile east of here.