(Side 1)(Continued on other side)(Side 2)
Lowndesboro developed from a small community of early settlers to a thriving township in the 1830's. The settlers' plantation interests were maintained in the lowlands along the Alabama River, while they built their cottage and antebellum homes in the Greek architectural style on the ridge of McGill's Hill. The Alabama River ports of Newport Landing and Loch Ranza were adjuncts to the town. Planters stored their cotton in warehouses located there. Boats brought choice merchandise upriver from Mobile. People from other communities came by stagecoach and carriage to spend the night in the local hotels in order to shop for select wares. The Lowndesboro Boys Academy was established behind the C.M.E. Church. The Lowndesboro Female Institute was a thriving women's college located on the site of Lowndes Academy. Horse racing was big business, and Lowndesboro had its own track. The community prospered in this era and produced this quotation from a traveler from Virginia, who wrote in 1837, "In northern Lowndes County there can be found a refined and polished Society."
Lowndesboro Business District
(Continued from other side)The Town of Lowndesboro Business District once housed livery stables, six doctors, a dentist, grocery stores, two taverns (hotels), general stores, a Masonic Hall, and a Post Office. The district consisted of wooden structures along the western side of Broad Street. In 1927 a great fire destroyed the Business District. The only business building remaining today is the Old Indian Trading Post, or Stone-Dryer Store, which now stands at the corner of Water Street and Broad Street. Despite the fact the stores were never rebuilt, much of the Old South lingers and many traditions of yesteryear continue. Reminiscent of times past, the local churches continue to have active congregations. Four participating churches in the community share services and employ the new version of the "old-time circuit pastors." The C.M.E. Church is a public facility and no longer holds regular services. It houses the cupola from the first State House in Cahaba, Alabama. The Town of Lowndesboro maintains the water infrastructure and the Ruby S. Moore Park.