Built in 1858, this house served as the home for the U.S. Armory superintendent's clerk. As an assistant to the superintendent, the clerk's responsibilities included drafting correspondence, filing reports, arranging schedules, and insuring the smooth operation of the superintendent's office.
After Storer College was established for freedmen in 1867, the building was named in honor of Dr. Nathan Brackett - educator, minister, administrator, and financier - who helped found the college and served as its first principal. Brackett arranged to have this and three other "fine old mansions" in the upper town, dilapidated and abandoned after the Civil War, turned over to the college by the government. The Brackett House currently is not open.
[Photo caption reads] Brackett House in 1908, during its Storer College tenancy.