The rock lined pits in this area pre-date the arrival of the Potawatomi Indians. Theories are that they may have been used for seed or food storage. The rocks here are shaped differently than any other in the area and their origin is uncertain. It is not clear if the Potawatomie used the pits but they did build on the site. Located in this area were Rosary beads, an 1810 American coin, religious medals dated 1830 with French & Latin inscriptions, glazed European pottery with Roman & Grecian themes, children's school slates & writing tools, clay and stone marbles, a pewter spoon, Indian beads made of turkey quills and bone, a thimble and straight pins, a stylus for writing, surgical scissors, square nails, locks, lead rifle balls, animal bones with charcoal, and numerous other items. A fire place foundation indicates that there was a building here.
Archeologist in charge Henry J. Roeckers