Two separate markers have been mounted on the same rock.Diestelhorst Auto CampGotlieb Justus Diestelhorst came to Shasta in 1852, to grow produce and vegetables to sell. He found the soil impossible. This 84 acre parcel became available, in 1859. With his wife Caroline, he settled in to raise a family and farm. Upriver from his home, Gotlieb planted an extensive orchard. Downriver from his home was a huge vegetable garden. On the high ground towards downtown, he planted hay. After his death in 1903 his sons, John and Charles, continued the store and ranch. Charles started the first dredge in Shasta County. With the advent of the automobile the family developed an auto camp with 30 cabins, gas station and store. Water was supplied by a huge water wheel, then a very large pump. The auto camp became a summer resort and with the bridge in place for jumping and diving competition, the resort was a popular summer swimming hole for local residents. The "Riverside Dance Pavilion" was built next to the south approach to the bridge. Big bands from Los Angeles to Seattle came to play. The 1940 flood wiped out most of the resort. The descendants of Gotlieb sold the property to the city for a park in 1977.
Marker on the Right:
Marker on the Left:Reid's FerryThis ferry crossing was established in 1851 under license of the Court of Sessions. Also known and operated as Shaw's, Green's and Hunt's Ferries, it was purchased by Edward Reid in 1860. This site was the main crossing of the Sacramento River on the road from Shasta, and after Redding was founded in 1872, from Redding to northern and eastern Shasta County, until the free bridge was built in 1884. It was operated by E.A. Reid until sold to John and Charles Diestelhorst, the sons of Gotleib Diestelhorst, in 1907. Since the ferry was launched from Diestelhorst property, the acquisition of the ferry fit well into the vast array of businesses developed by the family. Gotlieb Diestelhorst purchased 84 acres along the river in 1859, for the sum of $2,500, part of Major Pierson B. Reading's Rancho Buena Ventura. For a short time after the Diestelhorst Bridge was completed across the river at this location in 1915, the bridge was known as Reid's Ferry Bridge. The Diestelhorst family sold the land for the railroad trestle and bridge approach to the city. The bridge was in constant use until 1997, with the completion of the North Court Street Bridge.