(The Baldwin Block)
— 200-208 W. Miner St. —Roman's Bookstore and Newspaper Emporium was the first business to inhabit a building that was constructed on this site in 1859. The building burned, along with much of the town, on July 4, 1871, when a fire was started in this block by careless handling of firecrackers. Several times by 1878 this parcel and two adjoining others had sold as a unit. The newest owner hired a contractor to build "a block of brick stores." During the construction project, Jennie B. Nichols purchased the property and referred to it as the "Baldwin Block" in honor of her father J.T. Baldwin. The businesses that have occupied the site have been as varied as the citizens of Yreka, and have served the community for over 130 years.
|Placed By||City of Yreka|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, August 31st, 2014 at 5:04pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10T E 530227 N 4620068|
|Decimal Degrees||41.73185000, -122.63653333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 43.911', W 122° 38.192'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 43' 54.66" N, 122° 38' 11.52" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 204 W Miner St, Yreka CA 96097, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.