A Key Stop & RefugeJohn W. Thomas, who represented this area in the state legislature in the mid-1800s, laid out the town of Thomasville in 1852 on the proposed route of the North Carolina Railroad. Three years later, the line was completed to the new town, and the first train passes through January 20, 1856. By 1860, Thomasville was thriving with 308 residents, a female seminary and a shoe factory. During the war, two companies, including the renowned "Thomasville Rifles" (Company B, 14th North Carolina Infantry), served in Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Many of the soldiers who boarded trains two hundred yards east of here (a memorial is located at West Main and Cramer Streets, south of the railroad) later fell in the Seven Days' Battles and at Sharpsburg (Antietam), Gettysburg, and the Wilderness. After the war, Thomasville became noted for its furniture-making industry, especially chair manufacturing.
|Series||This marker is part of the North Carolina Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||North Carolina Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 at 6:16am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 582734 N 3971296|
|Decimal Degrees||35.88243333, -80.08340000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 52.946', W 80° 5.004'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 52' 56.76" N, 80° 5' 0.24" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 54 W Main St, Thomasville NC 27360, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.