Gordon Keller was a beloved citizen of Tampa — City official, merchant, civic leader, friend — from 1883 until his death, July 10, 1909. A grief-stricken community subscribed funds to build "a permanent monument" to him, and Gordon Keller Memorial Hospital was erected on North Boulevard in 1910. When the institution was moved to Davis Islands in 1926, its name was changed to Tampa Municipal Hospital, "Memorial to Gordon Keller." In 1956, the name was changed to Tampa General Hospital. The Gordon Keller School of Nursing was established at the earlier location in 1910. The three-year diploma school continued under that name until 1972, when it was phased out and nursing education became a part of Hillsborough Community College.