— Alexandria Historic District —
Wording on stone tablet to left:Alexandria, Virginia
County seat of Fairfax 1742-1800
Organized 13th July, 1749
Incorporated by the Assembly of Virginia 1779
Ceded to the Federal Government 1789
First boundary stone of the Federal District laid 15th of April 1791
Capitulated to the British 38th of August 1814
Retroceded to Virginia July 1846
The Market Square is the historic center of the town, in it the troops of Braddock were drilled 1755 and news of his defeat at Ft. Duquesne was announced to the country 16th of July 1755.
The Carlyle House in Fairfax Street was the headquarters of Gen. Braddock during the French and Indian War, and was the scene of the Council of Royal Governors Dinwiddie of Virginia, Shirley of Massachusetts, Delancy of New York, Morris of Pennsylvania and Sharp of Maryland, at which the first suggestion was made by British officials in council, of taxing the American colonies. On this occasion Washington received his appointment as aide to General Braddock. Here also was held in 1785 a conference between the governors of Virginia and Maryland which resulted in a convention of delegates from all the states at Philadelphia in 1787. This convention framed the Constitution of the United States.
In the Market Square stood the old Fairfax County courthouse where the freeholders of the town and county assembled 18th of July 1774. At this meeting George Washington presided, and George Mason drew up the celebrated Fairfax County Resolutions protesting against British tyranny.
The county courthouse was the point of beginning of the survey of the Federal District 1791. Here George Washington polled his last vote 1799, and his will was probated 20th of January 1800.
At the Old City Tavern, corner of Royal and Cameron Sts., Washington had his headquarters as Colonel of VA. Militia when drilling his troops, 1754. The first celebration of the adoption of the Federal Constitution was held at this tavern 27th of June 1788 and from the doorway 16th of April 1789 George Washington, on his way to his first inauguration responded to a farewell address made by Mayor, Colonel Dennis Ramsey on behalf of the citizens of Alexandria. From this hostelry General Washington issued his last military order when receiving the Independent Blues, November 1799.
Erected by the Colonial Dames of America
in the State of Virginia, May 8th, 1914.