Wittenberg's Water-Piping System

Wittenberg's Water-Piping System (HM1BPO)

Location: Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt 06886 Drome
Country: Germany

N 51° 51.962', E 12° 38.638'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 232 views
Inscription

Wittenberger R?hrwasser

Wittenberg's Water-Piping System
a technical monument from the 16th century


1n 1556 a group of distinguished local residents (Hieronymus Krapp, Christoff Kelner, Hans Lufft, Lucas Cranach, Caspar Pfreundt, Conradt R?hel and Christoff Schramm) formed a "Piping Union" in order to have water mains constructed. This water supply system later became known as the "Old Maiden Water Piping System" (Altes Jungfernr?hrwasser). The water was piped in hollowed tree trunks connected with iron joints from a spring some 5 km north-east of Wittenberg with outlets (so-called "Portions") in town. These outlets (fountains) were situated in the courtyards of these seven residents of Wittenberg. An eighth outlet was given to the famous and honoured Philipp Melanchthon for his house on Collegien Street.

Within three years - by 1559 - the second system, the so-called New Maiden Water Piping System, was constructed. Initially this had 22 outlets. Both system[s] were extended, supplying water to a total of 60 houses within the town in their heyday. Both the Old and the New Maiden Water Piping-Systems are still in operation today, supplying some 30 outlets within Wittenberg.

There wa[s] always a tap house installed between the main pipe and the extension to the outlet in the courtyard. That way it was possible to turn off the water when the Watermoney was not paid.

The tap house shown here (it is part of the New Maiden Water Supply System) is intended to make both local residents and guests of Wittenberg aware of this technical monument from the 16th century.

The Water Piping System is maintained by Verein Altes und Neues Jungfernr?hrwasser der Lutherstadt Wittenberg e.V. und/and Stadtwerke Lutherstadt Wittenberg GmbH
19. Juli 1999

——————————

Wittenberger R?hrwasser
Ein technisches Denkmal aus dem 16. Jahrhundert


Im Jahr 1556 schlossen sich die angesehenen Wittenberger B?rger Hieronymus Krapp, Christoff Kelner, Hans Lufft, Lucas Cranach, Caspar Pfreundt, Conradt R?hel und Christoff Schramm zu einer R?hrwassergewerkschaft zusammen und lie?en ein Wasserversorgungssystem bauen, das sp?ter "Altes Jungfernr?hrwasser" genannt wurde. Das System bestand aus ca. 5 km nordtlich Wittenbergs gelegenen Quellfassungen, die das Wasser im freien Gef?llen durch Holzrohrleitungen zu den Auslaufstellen im Stadtzentrum, den sogenannten "Portionen" leiteten. Die Portionen befanden sich auf den H?fen dieser sieben Wittenberger Burger, eine achte Portion wurde dem ber?hmten und verehrten Philipp Melanchthon f?r sein Haus in der Collegienstra?e geschenkt.

Bereits drei Jahre sp?ter, im Jahr 1559, wurde das zweite System, das "Neue Jungfernr?hrwasser", mit anf?nglich 22 Portionen gebaut. Beide Systeme wurden erweitert, so dass sich zeitweise bis zu 60 Portionen in den H?fen der Stadt befanden. Noch heute sind die beiden Systeme des Alten und des Neuen Jungfernr?hrwassers in Betrieb und versorgen etwa 30 Portionen in der Wittenberger Alstadt.

Am Abzweig zwischen Hauptleitung und Anschlu?leitung zur Portion lag jeweils ein Hahnhaus. Dieses machte es m?glich, den Zufluss des Wassers zu sperren, sobald die Zahlung des Wasser-geides ausblieb.

Das hier gezeigte Hahnhaus (es geh?rt zum System des Neuen Jungfernr?hrwassers) soll Wittenberger B?rger und Gte auf dieses technische Denkmal aus dem 16. Jahrhundert aufmerksam machen.
Details
HM NumberHM1BPO
Tags
Year Placed1999
Placed ByRotary Club Lutherstadt Wittenberg
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Friday, October 10th, 2014 at 5:41am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)33U E 337785 N 5748762
Decimal Degrees51.86603333, 12.64396667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 51° 51.962', E 12° 38.638'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds51° 51' 57.72" N, 12° 38' 38.28" E
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)276
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 6-7 Markt, Wittenberg Saxony-Anhalt 06886, DE
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Nearby Markersshow on map
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. This marker needs at least one picture.
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?