The nationally known Aurora Silverplate Manufacturing Company was a producer of fine silver-plated dishes, ornaments, and tableware. Founded in 1869. Directed by many of Aurora's pioneer businessmen including Joseph Stolp, this company was one of the city's most prosperous for more than 40 years. The business was thriving, employing 200, but disaster struck in 1871 when the original wood frame factory building burned. Within two months construction began on a more substantial brick building at the site. The limestone and brick showroom building is at the corner of Downer Place and Stolp Avenue; to the north was the original factory. The factory was positioned next to the Stolp Island Millrace. Power for the machinery was drawn from the water running through the millrace. Electricity was installed in 1913, and the factory became one of the first west of Chicago to completely convert to power. The need for the millrace was eliminated and it closed for good in December 1913. · In 1919, Aurora Silverplate became known as Mullholland Brothers. Much of the west side of the factory was once again destroyed by fire in 1922. The operation moved to Gale Street, where business continued until 1933. The eastern portion of the factory, which survived the fires, was incorporated into the Keystone Building, which was constructed in 1923. The Silverplate factory's rear elevation is still intact and visible from the east.