The Oats Park School was designed in 1914 by Frederick J. DeLongchamps, Nevada's pre-eminent architect of the period. He was also responsible for the 1921 north and south wing additions. This building is one of his earliest, and perhaps, first, public school designs. The structure was placed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places in 1990 because of its importance in the history of local education and its architectural significance, including the use of contrasting brick colors and attention to interior detail.
In 1995, the Churchill Arts Council began construction and renovation on the facility for its use as a multi-discipline cultural center. Drawing on the building's legacy of serving the community, the Churchill Arts Council reopened the building as the Oats Park Art Center in February, 2003.