Site of the town of Jacobsville is one-half mile north. Founded on the banks of the Reese River in 1859 by George Washington Jacobs who was the first sheriff of Lander County, farmer and businessman, it was the Overland Stage and Mail station and became a Pony Express stop in 1860. In the early 60's, it had a population of about 400 people, and boasted of the first telegraph relay station, a post office, court house, three stores and two hotels.
It was the first county seat of Lander County comprising practically all of northeastern Nevada. The county seat was moved to the more population town of Austin the same year it was established in Jacobsville. The only remnants are a few stones used in the foundations. The Reese River, just west of here, was discovering by the exploring party of John Reese in 1854.