In 1849, after a peace treaty was signed between Mexico and the United States, Congress was petitioned to admit the State of Desert to the Union. However, this petition was denied and the Organic Act of September 9, 1850, created the Utah Territory.
On October 4, 1851, under the direction of Governor Brigham Young, the Utah Territorial Legislature created Millard County and designated Fillmore as both the county seat and as the capitol of the Territory. The selection of Fillmore as the seat of government was due to its central location. Fillmore and Millard County were named after the 13th President of the United States, Millard Fillmore, because of his friendship to the Mormon people.
To fulfill this grant scheme, a capitol building was designed and construction began in the spring of 1852. In concept and plan, the new "Statehouse" was to consist of a four-winged structure with a large central dome. However, due to financial difficulties and other factors, only one wing was ever completed.
After one complete session of the Territorial Legislature, 1855-1856, and two partial sessions, the Territorial Capitol was removed to Salt Lake City.
The legacy of these early pioneers can be seen in many of the cities and towns, the homes and shops. The old Territorial Capitol building, now a history museum, is preserved as a state park in the center of Fillmore.
Millard County created on October 4, 1851