Millboro began as a settlement around Cady'sTunnel, built by the Central Virginia Railroad.By 1856 the tracks extended from Richmondto Cabin Creek nearby. During the Civil War,Confederate soldiers marched westward downthe old Crooked Spur road; army suppliesunloaded here were hauled in wagons pulledby confiscated horses. After the war, the townprospered while the railroad brought hundredsof travelers bound for the nearby springsresorts, and while its stockyards shippedlarge numbers of livestock. When automobiletravel and truck-hauling increased, therailroad declined. Stockyards emptied, hotelsclosed, businesses left, and Millboro settledinto a quiet life.