T.C. Walker School, which opened in 1930, was named for Thomas Calhoun Walker a former slave from Gloucester County who became the first African American attorney in Virginia. It cost $4,600, and was underwritten with $500 from the Julius Rosenwald Foundation, $505 from the local African American community, and $3,595 from the county. Virginia Turner was one of the longest-serving teachers at the school, which had two classrooms, a kitchen, and library and remained open until 1965. This Rosenwald School was one of more than 5,000 built in 15 states between 1917 and 1932 to teach African American children.