This block of land was known as Market Square when Racine was laid out as a village in 1837. This area was covered with shade trees, was the location of the town pump, and was used by the early settlers as a place to by and sell produce.
The land on the west shore of Lake Michigan, on which the city of Racine is located, was ceded to the United States by the Potawatomi Indians in the Treaty of September 26, 1833.
In November of 1834 Captain Gilbert Knapp built the first cabin near what is now Second Street and Lake Avenue, on the site he called Port Gilbert in the Territory of Wisconsin, which became the City of Racine, in the State of Wisconsin in 1848.
This marker was given by the Racine Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution June 14, 1962