The Rutherford County Courthouse is one of only six remaining antebellum courthouses in the state of Tennessee.
Erected between 1859 and 1861 at a cost of $50,000, the Greek Revival-style brick structure features classical columns on the east and west sides. The original cupola was replaced in the early twentieth century, and architecturally compatible wings were added to the north and south sides in 1965, to provide more office space. The historic building houses the office of the County Mayor and other officials, as well as meeting space for the County Commission.
All types of festivals and events have taken place on the grounds. One of the more intriguing is the story of the "Human Fly." In 1923, a handsome dark-haired stranger arrived in Murfreesboro. He agreed to climb to the very top of the courthouse for a sum of money collected by the citizens. He began his ascent the evening after his arrival and he successfully made his way to the highest point of the building where the weathervane was mounted. As he descended he lost his footing and fell to his death. No one knew the man's identity, so his body was taken to Sweeney's Funeral Parlor on the east side of the square and placed in a casket with a glass panel in hope that someone would recognize him. After several days, the unclaimed body was buried in Evergreen Cemetery in a pauper's grave.(Inscription under the photo in the lower left) The Courthouse as it appeared in 1915.