Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street
In 1867 Rev. Otis O. Knight of Nashville purchased Lot 60, selling the southern half to ex-slave A.N.C. Williams, and the northern half for the construction of Wiley Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church (1868-1944), an African American congregation, today used by Pull-tight Players. In 1906 William Munch and Docia Owen House purchased this house and lot for $500 and the property remained in the family until 2002. Long the social center of the neighborhood, the House family became well known for the Patent Leather Kids, a jazz band which included J.D. and Arvila "Bybee" House, Fred Williams, Willie Wilson, and George Ball. The house was threatened with demolition until saved by local preservationists led by Pearl Bransford and Thelma Battle.
"Bucket of Blood" Neighborhood
Franklin's Methodist Church stood on the corner across the street, where the modern-day homes are located, from 1830 until 1873. Shorter Chapel A.M.E. Church used the same brick sanctuary until 1925, before moving to Natchez & Fowlkes Street. By 1910, black laborers working at Lillie Mills were living in factory-owned houses known as the "Bucket of Blood." According to local legend, this colorful name resulted from a knife fight in Pig Hodges poolroom, in which the victim bled a bucketful of blood. Local African American landowners included Civil War Union veteran Freeman Thomas, Rev. William Perkins, Andrew Patton, Clifton Baugh, Robert German, Sam and Cal Hunter, Amanda Glass, Sister Kelley and W.H. West.