Construction began July 1825, opening navigation between Cincinnati and Toledo, Ohio in 1845 and encouraging settlement in the Black Swamp.
?????Built in segments, the Canal extended 248.8 miles, joining the Ohio River and Lake Erie. The segment from St. Marys to Junction, Ohio was the last to open.
?????There were 103 lift locks, five of which were in Monterey Township in Putnam County. This marker stands on the right-of-way in Section Sixteen of the Canal approximately 1,000 feet south of where Lock No. 28 was located.
?????The first freighter The Marshal, carrying furs and pelts, passed through here from Piqua to Toledo on July 4, 1845. The last boat was a pleasure craft named Marguerita.
?????Officially, the Canal ceased operation in 1877, but boats navigated this area until 1912.