On this site, John Ward, a trustee for the new town of Winchester, operated a tavern in the early 1800s. The property later became the Sachett Academy for girls. In 1845 the First Christian Church erected a brick church which burned during the winter of 1907-08. The lot was purchased by the Federal Government and the present structure completed in 1912. It served as a United States Post Office until 1988. After extensive renovation by the county, including construction of an addition on the east side, the building was returned to service in 1991.
The building is named in honor of Gov. James Clark in recognition of his distinguished service as a jurist. As a circuit judge, Clark declared Kentucky's replevin law unconstitutional on May 15, 1822, ensuring fiscal responsibility in Kentucky and requiring that legal debts be paid.
In addition to service as circuit judge, Clark, who opened a law office in Winchester in 1798, served two terms in the Kentucky House, two years as a judge of the Kentucky Court of Appeals, five terms in Congress, and in 1832 was elected to the Kentucky Senate, and chosen its speaker in 1835.
Elected Kentucky's 12th governor in 1836, Clark died Aug 27, 1839 in office in Frankfort. He is buried near his beloved Holly Rood, the home he constructed in 1814.