— · ·· —Built in 1667, Crane Hook Church was located one mile east of here on what is now Pigeon Point Road. The Church took its name from the land located between here and the Delaware River. Under Dutch leadership, this area was colonized by the Swedes and Finnish-Swedes in the early 1660s. The English took control of the Delaware colony in October 1664 and afforded the religious freedom needed to build this Swedish Lutheran church. Built of logs in a blockhouse style, the Church's projecting second story served as a defense structure against external threats. Worshipers were primarily Swedes and Finnish-Swedes, but also included people of English, Dutch, Holstein, or German origin. According to a pew list the congregation from the 1690s about 50% of the congregants came from New Castle County, 10% from Cecil County Maryland, and 40% came by boat across the Delaware River in New Jersey. Lars Lock from Sweden was the first pastor of Crane Hook Church. After his death in 1688, the congregation was led by lay reader Charles Springer until the arrival of Erik Bj?rk in 1697. Bj?rk was one of the three Church of Sweden priests sent to America to serve the remaining Swedes on the Delaware River. With the help of the congregation, Bj?rk immediately began planning and constructing Holy Trinity Church (Old Swedes) in Wilmington to replace Crane Hook Church.
|Placed By||Delaware Public Archives|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, September 30th, 2014 at 5:09pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 452844 N 4395258|
|Decimal Degrees||39.70588333, -75.55008333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 42.353', W 75° 33.005'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 42' 21.18" N, 75° 33' 0.30" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3064 New Castle Ave, New Castle DE 19720, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.