On March 12, 1941, the United States government purchased 10 acres of land here for the location of a mobile radar installation. Preparation of the site was completed the following summer. Construction was then commenced under the direction of the Army Corps of Engineers. Following declaration of war in December 1941, work was accelerated. By the following February a radar unit and tower had been installed. One of 26 facilities of this type established along the Atlantic coast from Maine to Virginia, it was formally designated as Radar Site 11. The installation was fully functional by June 1942. At the time of completion it consisted of 14 concrete block structures including living facilities for officers and enlisted men, Guard Posts, and other buildings necessary to operations. Initially designated as a mobile site, this was one of 10 of the original 26 locations to be converted to permanent status. Following conversion a building was constructed to house the radar equipment, which had been mounted on trailers and trucks for purpose of mobility. Equipment was upgraded, promoting extended detection capability. With the end of the war the property was declared to be surplus and sold. After decades of deterioration, the buildings were in ruin when the property was acquired by Carl M. Freeman Communities in the 1990s. All remaining structures were removed with the exception of the Pump House, which stands today as a visible reminder of the history and significance of Radar Site 11.