State of ConnecticutThis area, formerly part of Guilford and known as East Guilford, was first settled about 1650 on land bought from the Nehantic and Mohegan Indians in 1641. With population increasing, settlers here sought separate parishes and the Society of East Guilford was incorporated in 1707, the Society in North Madison, called North Bristol in 1753. The Town of Madison, named for President James Madison, was incorporated in 1826. This was once a center for fishing, shipping, shipbuilding, farming, and crayon manufacturing. Famous people born here included Thomas Chittenden, first Governor of Vermont: philanthropist Daniel Hand: artist Gilbert Munger: and chief sponsor of the Civil War ironclad warship Monitor, Cornelius Scranton Bushnell.
|Placed By||Town of Madison and the Connecticut Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 4:57am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 700974 N 4572493|
|Decimal Degrees||41.27888333, -72.60028333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 16.733', W 72° 36.017'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 16' 43.98" N, 72° 36' 1.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||203, 860|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 574-580 Boston Post Rd, Madison CT 06443, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.