Pigeon River Railroad

Pigeon River Railroad (HM18TK)

Location: Pigeon Forge, TN 37863 Sevier County
Country: United States of America

N 35° 47.167', W 83° 32.871'

  • 0 likes
  • 1 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 446 views
Inscription
Pictured is locomotive # 20. It ran along Smoky Mountain Railroad tracks and possibly traveled into Pigeon Forge on the Pigeon River Railroad line just before the line was abandoned about 1929. The Pigeon River Railroad was incorporated in August 1916 and began operating circa 1919. The PRRR extended the line of the Knoxville, Sevierville and Eastern Railway from west Sevierville to the small community of McCookville, about a mile south of Pigeon Forge. Area residents jokingly referred to the line as the "Knoxville, Slow and Easy." Logging in the mountains and the harvesting of tan bark for tanning leather were becoming big business. Trains were used in the transport of these resources. A depot was located across the street, slightly northwest of this marker, with the tracks running parallel to the road. After railroad operations ceased, the depot was moved to the opposite side of the street. Photo: Sevier County Public Library

(captions)
(Above) This artist's sketch by Norman C. Miller, Jr. appeared in Elmer G. Sulzer's book, Ghost Railroads of Tennessee

(Left) Pictured at the Middle Creek train stop, about 1920, are Ulla Chance, Bertha Marshall and Jenella Ogle. The Pigeon River Railroad connected with the KS&E in west Sevierville, then traveled through A.J. King's lumber warehouse on its way to Pigeon Forge. There was a PRRR depot at the lumber company in Sevierville, there were three depots along Lower Middle Creek Road, and there was one across this highway. Photo Courtesy of Jerry Loveday

Locomotives from the Smoky Mountain Railroad were among those used for display at Rebel Railroad, one of the town's first attractions. Engine #107 remains in Pigeon Forge. Photo Courtesy of David Eppen

Pictured is a Sevier County leather smith in 1937. Esquire Blackburn Jones & A.S. Trotter operated a tannery on Mill Creek in Pigeon Forge. Cleason Emert and Ransom Sims were also tanners there. They made shoes, harnesses, saddles and horse collars for local farmers. Photo: Tennessee State Library & Archives

(Left) A spike from the Pigeon River Railroad and a Montgomery's Vindicator advertisement 1924
Details
HM NumberHM18TK
Tags
Year Placed2013
Placed ByCity of Pigeon Forge
Marker Condition
0 out of 10 (1 reports)
Date Added Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 8:01am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. The member who adopted this marker listing is responsible for adding pictures.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)17S E 269725 N 3963221
Decimal Degrees35.78611667, -83.54785000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 35° 47.167', W 83° 32.871'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds35° 47' 10.02" N, 83° 32' 52.26" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)865
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 3533-3557 TN-449, Pigeon Forge TN 37863, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

The Marker Is Missing

Marker missing. Will get with city to see if relocated per built new fire station.

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:03am PDT by pigeonforgeiyvc

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. This marker needs at least one picture.
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?