This site, originally R.A. Simpson's Ferndale Mechanical Shop, and shared by A. Monroe Cider and Vinegar Company, was chosen in 1904 by Aage Jensen as the founding location of the Central Creamery with first production of butter in September, uniting several small independent plants. In 1905 the company adopted the name of California Central Creameries and eventually became the mother plant of the Golden State Company, Ltd., where numerous steps in western dairy production, including dry milk were pioneered. The first motorized milk tank truck in America was in use here in 1914. Dedicated by the
Native Sons of the Golden West.
February 12, 1983
Joseph Ursino Grand President
In memory of Joseph G. Oeschger Past Grand President N.S.G.W.
A native of Ferndale