Chautauqua Lake RegionChautauqua Lake, eighteen miles long and one to three miles wide, has as its outlet a branch of Connewango Creek, a tributary of the Allegheny River. This gives Chautauqua an indirect connection with the Gulf of Mexico by way of the Ohio, and Mississippi Rivers. French expeditions used Chautauqua Lake and these rivers as a route to Midwest posts in the 18th century. In the next century, lumber rafts, cut from the rich timberlands nearby, were floated down this river system. Indian occupation of the area began approximately 10,000 years ago. Much later, Erie Indians lived here until conquered by the Iroquois in 1656. The Holland Land Company, from its branch office in Mayville, opened the area to settlement after 1800. James Prendergast in 1808 settled Jamestown, which developed into a center for making furniture. After 1860, the cultivation of vineyards became widespread throughout the lake region. A long growing season is favorable for agriculture, and fruit orchards and dairy farms have become extensive. The Chautauqua Institution in 1874 began a program of adult education. Informative lectures, musical presentations, and various forms of entertainment later spread the fame of Chautauqua throughout the United States.
|Placed By||State of New York - Education Department - Department of Public Works|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 1:37pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 623352 N 4679094|
|Decimal Degrees||42.25430000, -79.50460000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 15.258', W 79° 30.276'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 15' 15.48" N, 79° 30' 16.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1-13 E Chautauqua St, Mayville NY 14757, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.