This 1886 Romanesque building with its decorative brick facade has a store interior that is basically the same as it was 120 years ago. At that time it was a hardware store that sold buggies, wagons, windmills, and stoves. Before automobiles, since most families kept horses, harnesses and other livery items were also made and sold here. A tinsmith shop was upstairs and the smith's tools are still in place.
The hardware store still has the original windows, 14-foot tin ceilings, wood floors, shelves, wainscoting and counters. A large rope-drawn freight elevator used to haul buggies from the rear of the building to an upstairs display window is still operative. The original stained glass windows have been carefully restored.
The building has been owned by the same family since 1939 and now houses "Buggy Days Antiques," a good re-use of this well-maintained Victorian store.