Campobello Company and Hotels

Campobello Company and Hotels (HM178I)

Location: Welshpool, NB E5E 1B3 Charlotte County
Country: Canada

N 44° 52.575', W 66° 58.315'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 308 views
Inscription

Le Campobello Company et les H?tels

Although visitors had been coming to the island since 1855, Campobello's summer trade did not really prosper until the 1880s - years of long summer vacations and great resorts. A group of Boston and New York businessmen bought most of the island in 1881. The new owners called themselves the Campobello Company; their plan was to promote the island as a summer resort. They hoped to lure a wealthy clientele with extensive leisure time to the island, let them enjoy the area's many charms, and sell them land.

The Campobello Company constructed three large, luxurious hotels: the Owen (photo 1), the Tyn-y-Coed, and the Tyn-y-Maes (photo 2). Hotel brochures promoted the favorable climate, clean, bracing, salt-tinged and balsam-scented air, and abundant scenic beauty. As well, the hotels advertised unequaled boating and fishing, enjoyable excursions by land and sea, and relief from hay fever. Both Canadian and American papers and periodicals promoted Campobello as a summer resort. Families from New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Ottawa and Montreal escaped to Campobello by private yacht, steamship, and train.

Two steam launches (photo 3) were purchased by the Campobello Company to ferry passengers from Eastport to the company's hotels and to ferry passengers between the Owen and the Tyn-y-Coed's floating wharf (photo 4).
—————————
Bien qu'une foule de visiteurs aient fr?quent? l'?le depuis 1855, le commerce reli? ? la saison estival n'a commenc? qu'? prosp?rer au milieu des ann?es 1880 - ann?es marqu?es par de longues vacances estivales et la construction de magnifiques lieux de vill?giature. Un groupe d'hommes d'affaires de Boston et de New York fit l'acquisition d'une grande partie de l'?le en 1881. Les nouveaux propri?taires form?rent une nouvelle compaignie appel?e la Campobello Company. Leur objectif ?tait de promouvoir l'image de l'?le comme centre de vill?giature. Leur but ?tait d'attirer de nombreaux clients ais, ayant beaucoup de temps libre et les moyens pour profiter la beaut? de l'?le, pour leur vendre des terres.

La Campobello Company fit construire trois h?tels de luxe: le Owen (photo 1), le Tyn-y-Coed et le Tyn-y-Maes (photo 2). Les brochures publicitaires de l'?poque vantaient le climat temp?r?, l'air pur, vivifiant, salin et embaum?, ainsi que la grande beaut? du paysage de l'?le. De plus, les h?tels annon?aient les conditions in?gal?es de la navigation de plaisance et de la p?che, les agr?ables excursions sur terre et en mer, sans compter un climat id?al pour soulager les sympt?mes de la fi?vre des foins. La presse, tant canadienne qu'am?ricaine, vantait les m?rites de Campobello comme lieu de vill?giature. Les familles ais?es de New York, Boston, Philadelphia et de Montr?al s'y rendaient ? bord de yachts priv, de bateaux ? vapeur et en train.

La Compagnie fit ?galement l'acquisition de deux bateaux ? vapeur (photo 3) pour effectuer la travers?e des passagers entre Eastport et les h?tels de la compagnie et aussi pour faire la travers?e entre le Owen et le quai flottant de l'h?tel Tyn-y-Coed (photo 4).
—————————
Photo 1.
Campobello's first resort hotel was the Owen, located on Deer Point across the bay from this observation deck. The Owen was closed after 1889 and dismantled some time before 1920.
Le Owen fut le premier h?tel construit sur l'?le de Campobello, ? Deerpoint, de l'autre c?te de la baie. Le Owen ferma ses portes apr 1889 et fut d?moli aux environs de 1920.

Photo 2.
James and Sara Roosevelt and one-year-old Franklin stayed at the Tyn-y-Coed (Welsh for "house in the woods") Hotel at left during the summer of 1883. The Tyn-y-Maes ("house in the fields") is at right. These hotels closed about 1907. The Tyn-y-maes caught fire and burned between 1908 and 1912, after which the Tyn-y-Coed was dismantled.
? gauche - Au cours de l'?t? 1883, James et Sara Roosevelt et leur fils d'un an lors d'un s?jour ? l'h?tel Tyn-y-Coed, nom d'origine galloise qui signifie "La Maison dans les Bois". ? droite - L'h?tel Tyn-y-Maes ou "La Maison dans les Champs". Les b?timents du Tyn-y-Maes ferm?rent leurs portes vers 1907 et furent d?truits par des incendies entre 1908 et 1912. C'est ? la suite de l'un de ces incendies que le Tyn-y-Coed fut d?moli.

Photo 3.
The Campobello Company's steam launch Emmet carried hotel guests to and from Eastport.
Le bateau ? vapeur Emmet de la Campobello Company transportant des passagers en provenance des h?tels de l'?le vers Eastport.

Photo 4.
The Hubbard Cottage, brown when this 1904 photo was taken, is at left. In the center is the James and Sara Roosevelt Cottage. At far right is the Kuhn Cottage, which eventually became the FDR summer home. In the foreground is the large floating wharf constructed by the Campobello Company. The wharf was destroyed in a storm in 1903.
La ridence d'?t? Hubbard, de couleur brune lors de la prise de cette photo, se trouve ? gauche. Au centre de la photo se trouve la ridence d'?t? James et Sara Roosevelt. ? l'extr?me droite se trouve la ridence d'?t? Kuhn qui est ?ventuellement devenue la ridence d'?t? de FDR. ? l'avant se trouve l'?norme quai flottant construit par la Campobello Company. Le quai fut d?truit par un orage en 1903.
Details
HM NumberHM178I
Tags
Placed ByRoosevelt Campobello International Park
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Friday, October 24th, 2014 at 10:02pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)19T E 660187 N 4971204
Decimal Degrees44.87625000, -66.97191667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 44° 52.575', W 66° 58.315'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds44° 52' 34.50" N, 66° 58' 18.90" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)831
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 98 Unnamed Road, Welshpool NB E5E 1B3, CA
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?