This hall started in 1847, completed in 1848,
was named after its builder
Chaplain Walter Colton, U.S.N., 1787-1851
Congregational Minister, historian, author, and editor, who served as alcalde at Monterey from 28 July 1846 to 1 October 1848. On 15 August 1846, in partnership with Robert Semple, Colton established California's first newspaper, "The Californian;" he impaneled the first U.S. jury ever to be summoned in this state on 4 September 1848, and in 1847 was appointed judge of the U.S. Court of Admiralty.
"The American people love valor, but they love religion also. They will confer their highest honors only on him who combines them both." Colton
This plaque was presented to the City of Monterey by the U.S. Navy on the 180th anniversary of the Navy Chaplain Corps, 28 November 1955.