The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri

The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri (HM16Y3)

Location: Hermann, MO 65041 Gasconade County
Buy Missouri State flags at Flagstore.com!
Country: United States of America
Buy United States of America flags at Flagstore.com!

N 38° 42.47', W 91° 25.918'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 278 views
Inscription
"as we were pushing off this Morning two Canoes Loaded with fur &c. Came to from the Mahars nation [Omahas]...., at about 10 oClock 4 Cajaux or rafts loaded with furs and peltres came too one from the Paunees (Pawnees) the other from Grand Osage... we camped on a Willow Island in the mouth of Gasconade River"
William Clark, May 27, 1804

On May 26, 1804, the Lewis and Clark Expedition camped on an island at the southern end of Loutre Ialand near present-day Hermann. The party had made some 18 miles on this day aided by a wind that gave them a rare chance to use the sail on the keelboat. Along the way, they noted many signs of deer along the bank.

While encamped, Captain Meriwhether Lewis issued a set of Detachment Orders dividing the 24 man crew of the keelboat (all enlisted privates in the army) into three messes under the command of Sergeants Floyd, Ordway and Pryor. These three messes contained the elite corps of men who were designated by the captains to make the entire journey to the Pacific Ocean and back. The crew of hired French boatmen, or engag, assigned to the red pirogue formed a mess under the Patroon, Bapiste Deschamps. They returned to St. Louis from Fort Mandan in the spring of 1805. Another mess, consisting of army personnel under the command of Cpl. Richard Warfington, formed the crew of the white pirogue. Warfington and the crew of the white pirogue were to pilot the keelboat back to St. Louis from Fort Mandan in the spring of 1805 along with reports from the captains and specimens collected on the expedition; these were to be forwarded to President Thomas Jefferson.

The next day (May 27), the expedition encountered several canoes and boatloads of traders. Some of these had come down from the Omaha Indian nation about 700 miles upriver; some had come down from the Pawnee nation on the Platte River; and some had come down from the Grand Osage village on the Osage River. Sometime on the morning of May 27, the expedition passed the site of present-day Hermann and then continued on to the mouth of the Gasconade River where they stayed through May 28.

Duties of Sergeants on Keelboats
Sgt. at the Helm

Steer boat · See that baggage arranged and stowed · Attend to compass

Sgt. at the Center
Command guard · Manage sails · Supervise oarsmen · See that boat departs on time · Watch for streams, islands · Issue "spirituous liquor" · Regulate halts · Post guards on land

Sgt. at Bow
Look out for all dangers: enemy or obstruction · Communicate same to Sgt. at Center · Report all other craft, hunting camps, Indians · Assist bowman in poling

Organization of the Corps of Discovery
Detachment One (Keelboat)

Saturday, May 26, 1804, near Loutre Island
Mess 1, Sgt. Charles Floyd
Privates
Hugh McNeal · Patric Gass · Reubin Fields · John B. Thompson · John Newman · Richard Windsor · Francis Rivet · Joseph Fields

Mess 2, Sgt. John Ordway
Privates
William Bratton · John Colter · Moses B. Reed · Alexander Willard · William Werner · Silas Goodrich · John Potts · Hugh Hall

Mess 3, Sgt. Nathaniel Pryor
Privates
George Gibson · George Shannon · John Shields · John Collins · Joseph Whitehouse · Peter Wiser · Pierre Cruzatte · Francois Labiche

Detachment Two (Pirogues)
Mess 1, Red Pirogue, Patroon Baptiste Deschamps
Engages
Etienne Malboeuf · Paul Primeau · Charles Hebert · Jean Baptist La Jeunesse · Peter Pinaut · Peter Roi · Joseph Collin

Mess 2, White Pirogue, Cpl. Richard Warfington
Privates
Robert Frazer · John Boley · John Dame · Ebinezer Tuttle · Issac White

Details
HM NumberHM16Y3
Series This marker is part of the Lewis & Clark Expedition series
Tags
Placed ByNational Park Service, Missouri Dept of Natural Resources, and Missouri Lewis and Clark Bicentennial Commission
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Thursday, September 4th, 2014 at 9:16pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)15S E 636339 N 4285522
Decimal Degrees38.70783333, -91.43196667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 38° 42.47', W 91° 25.918'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds38° 42' 28.20" N, 91° 25' 55.08" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)573, 636
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 201-217 Second St, Hermann MO 65041, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What historical period does the marker represent?
  2. What historical place does the marker represent?
  3. What type of marker is it?
  4. What class is the marker?
  5. What style is the marker?
  6. Does the marker have a number?
  7. What year was the marker erected?
  8. This marker needs at least one picture.
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?