Our Land - Our Heritage

Our Land - Our Heritage (HM16KD)

Location: Tyler, TX 75708 Smith County
Country: United States of America

N 32° 25.461', W 95° 12.714'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 377 views
Inscription

In Recognition Of The Families Who Settled This Land


Our Land - Our Heritage
1894 - 1942


Dedicated to those who
sacrificed their land and
heritage when Camp Fannin
displaced a number of families
from their original homesteads.
Placed in remembrance and
acknowledgement of their loss.
March 1998
Donated by the Walsh Family

(Lower Plaque)
In Recognition Of The Families Who Settled This Land
1894 — 1942

In 1942, the War Assets Administration purchased or acquired through adverse possession, 3072 acres of land to establish the Tyler Air Force Replacement Training Center. The landowners, who were paid as little as $25 per acre, even though replacement land was selling for much higher price, took legal action to get a fairer price and to guarantee the land would be returned to them after the war. The courts denied their appeals. The land became the heart of Camp Fannin, U.S. Army Infantry replacement Training Center, after the government changed the scope of its original plans. More than 250,000 soldiers were trained here from May 1943 to December 1945 and in 1946, Camp Fannin was deactivated. In 1948, the War Assets Administration declared the purchased land was a disposable "war asset" and deeded 2,369 acres to the State of Texas. This included the 1,000-bed Camp Fannin Station Hospital. In 1949, the hospital reopened as the East Texas Tuberculosis Sanatorium.
In 1958, the State returned 1,691 acres to the U.S. Government, retaining 614 acres for the East Texas Tuberculosis Hospital. The surplus land was auctioned in 1959 and was purchased by Tyler businessmen and the Owen Development Company which established the community of Owentown.
In 1977, the Texas Legislature transferred the East Texas Chest Hospital to The University of Texas System who renamed it The University of Texas Health Center at Tyler.
Since the end of World War II, the families who lost their land and an important part of their heritage have sought acknowledgment of their sacrifice. This memorial is dedicated to them. It is located on the original homestead of William P. and Mary Walsh, who purchased their land in 1894. They raised seven children and seven grandchildren on their farm prior to 1942.
The stone memorial was donated by the Walsh family in honor of the descendants of William P. Walsh, R.L. Cashion, Mrs. L.M. Cashion, John G. Zorn, W.T. Nolan, Bess Olive, G.E. Olive and Tully C. Jarvis, who owned part of the 614 acres occupied by the UT Health Center and of the families of the remaining landowners including: M.G. Desmond, T.E. Wiggins, Eliza Osborne Miller, Mrs. H.H. Lytle, G.W. Jacobs, and T. Hale. Winona Consolidated Common School District, Center Methodist Episcopal Church, and Houston Oil Company also owned land within this area.
This memorial is intended to serve as a permanent tribute to those farming families who gave up a part of their heritage with the loss of their land. It is not intended to overshadow the great achievements of The University of Texas Health Center at Tyler. It is placed as a reminder of the sacrifice these landowners were forced to make during the War. The UT Health Center appreciates the support of the Walsh family in making this memorial possible and apologizes if any family names have been omitted.
Dedicated March 29, 1998
Details
HM NumberHM16KD
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 9:03am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)15S E 292020 N 3589626
Decimal Degrees32.42435000, -95.21190000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 32° 25.461', W 95° 12.714'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds32° 25' 27.66" N, 95° 12' 42.84" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)903
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 100-150 Health Center Dr, Tyler TX 75708, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Nearby Markersshow on map
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  10. This marker needs at least one picture.
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?