1805Rutledge College was the first first building to be erected atSouth Carolina College. At that time it served as Residence Hall, Lecture Hall, Chapel, Library, Faculty Housing andLaboratory. Rutledge College was named for John and Edward Rutledge, both Governors of South Carolina. In 1855the building was destroyed by fire and rebuilt immediately.After the Civil War the east wing was used as quarters bythe Federal Military commander of the Columbia District.During that time the Columbia Post Office and the Office ofthe State Treasurer were in the west wing and the House of Representatives met in the chapel. Today RutledgeCollege is used as a chapel and a residence hall andhouses the Department of Religious Studies.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 21st, 2014 at 5:34pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 497449 N 3761945|
|Decimal Degrees||33.99810000, -81.02761667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 59.886', W 81° 1.657'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 59' 53.16" N, 81° 1' 39.42" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1421-1499 Greene St, Columbia SC 29208, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.