On this location the first church in St. Louis, a small wood structure was blessed on June 24, 1770. Six years later it was replaced by a larger church of white oak timbers blessed and used for divine service for the first time in early summer of 1776. It also served as the Cathedral for the installation of Bishop Louis DuBourg, the Bishop of Louisiana and the Floridas, who took up residence here January 5, 1818. Little more than two months later on March 29, 1818, the cornerstone for a brick Cathedral was blessed and placed. The brick Cathedral destined to remain unfinished was supplanted by the present stone church. Bishop Joseph Rosati, CM. blessed the cornerstone on August 1, 1831 and solemnly consecrated this church on October 26, 1834. On October 18, 1914, the title of "Cathedral" ceased when the present Cathedral located on the western edge of the city was blessed. However, on January 25, 1961, Pope John XXIII designated this historic church a Basilica, thereby conferring on it worldwide recognition. Today this is the Basilica of Saint Louis, King, Populary: The Old Cathedral.