Fort Warren-Georges Island
— Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area —Harbor mines and cables fill the pier during the Second World War. Built in 1906, the mine-storage building (background) now houses the visitor's center. (Inscription below the title) Countering the threat of the submarine, the U.S. military mined the nation's ports—-conventional artillery, like Fort Warren's 15-inch guns, couldn't destroy underwater invaders. Beginning in 1898, the Coast Artillery placed minefields in maritime channels north and south of Georges Island (some minefields were further north, near Lynn). To avoid damaging friendly ships, soldiers in casemates (bunkers) controlled the mines via underwater cables. The cables were checked for short-circuits in water-filled concrete tanks (now below the food-service area) before being transported with the mines on railway cars to the docks.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 8:08am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||19T E 340961 N 4687088|
|Decimal Degrees||42.31980000, -70.93000000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 19.188', W 70° 55.8'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 19' 11.28" N, 70° 55' 48.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 14998 David Crockett Hwy, Boston MA 37345, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.