Circa 1858, after tracks were laid through California, the Missouri Pacific Railroad built the Central Hotel to house railroad employees. Later, Dr. J.P. Burke, a local doctor who practiced medicine in California for about 50 years, purchased the property and resided in the structure along with his family, which maintained residency until 1968. The property was purchased in 1990 by California Progress, Inc., a non-profit corporation dedicated to the future of California, Missouri, in order to build a park in memory of the Central Hotel and Dr. J.P. Burke for their contributions to the community.
California Progress, Inc. wishes to thanks the following for their generous donations to this project:
Dr. Jack Child · Ida Margeret Eitzen · Leslie E. Morginson-Eitzen · Jana Beale Morgana