Cherokee Indians first inhabited this mound site, subsequently settled by A.H. Lamar, a captain in the Seminole War and first constable (1836) of DeKalb County. Lamar and his Cherokee wife operated trading post and stage coach stop on site, selling property to Alfred Collins, ca. 1842. Collins, for whom Collinsville was named, built home and operated inn on the stage coach line here between Rome and Guntersville. Daughter Sallie and her husband G.W. Roberts, became owners in 1886. Collinsville Baptist Church purchased property in 1924, erecting building on site two years later.