"Verrendo" Spanish for Male AntelopeJune 1872 a former Fresno County Sheriff Leroy Dennis erected a store and hotel. Feb. 12, 1873 the first official Post Office of Madera County opened. Service stopped on Mar. 23, 1919 and USPS renamed the town Berenda "Female Antelope". The Central Pacific Railroad came through and Berenda became a farming community with several hotels, blacksmith shops and saloons. Cattle ranchers Miller and Lux built and donated a school house. As a gateway to Yosemite, Berenda's boom days were in the late 1880's when Yosemite tourism was by stage. After a wet winter in 1885-1886 stages crossing wet range lands caused delays for tourism from Berenda to Raymond thus creating a new gateway to Yosemite. As the Madera area grew larger and more industrial Berenda began to shrink. The boom time was over and all that remains are a few buildings and this old schoolhouse.
|Series||This marker is part of the E Clampus Vitus series|
|Placed By||E Clampus Vitus, Grub Gulch Chapter 41-49|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, October 14th, 2014 at 2:23pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 753172 N 4102857|
|Decimal Degrees||37.03781667, -120.15351667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 2.269', W 120° 9.211'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 2' 16.14" N, 120° 9' 12.66" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 19802-19826 Golden State Blvd, Madera CA 93637, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.